While still on Twitter suspension (during which time I have achieved many useful things; perhaps I should get suspended more often?) I can nevertheless still browse the site and see what’s winding folk up. Today I came across this tweet: Link Professor Bill McGuire modestly bills himself as “Volcanologist, climate scientist, broadcaster, activist, socialist, best-selling author…” Author of what, you may ask? A new book called Hothouse Earth, in which this Emeritus Professor of Geophysical & Climate Hazards at UCL posits the gloomiest of dooms ahead for the planet.
And why not, eh? It’s a hot topic (pun intended)
and he's bound to earn a few capitalist quid from flogging this dead horse.
- Surviving Armageddon: Solutions for a threatened planet (2005).
- Global Catastrophes: A Very Short Introduction (2006).
- Seven Years to Save the Planet (2008).
- Climate Forcing of Geological Hazards (2012).
- Waking the Giant – How a Changing Climate Triggers Earthquakes, Tsunamis, and Volcanoes (2012).
- Knock Three Times: 28 modern folk tales for a world in trouble (2019). And, of course,
- Hothouse Earth: An Inhabitant’s Guide (2022).